Sunday, October 10, 2010

Weekends


Good Sunday. This weekend I decided to stay in Mthatha to catch up on some reading, writing, and to update you all on what's been happening. It's been a relaxing past couple of days. This morning I visited the Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist for the first time. This is the big Anglican cathedral downtown, and it was good to be at the service. For the passing of the peace, everyone in the congregation held hands--across aisles and over pews--to all stand and sing together in peace. It was pretty great.

Yesterday, I paid a visit to the Nelson Mandela Museum, which is just a block away from St. John's. Mandela is from the area is this one of three museums that tell his story. I really enjoyed the museum, and the history nerd in me was interested in the way his stories were told. Being there also made me realize how influential many of my classes at Sewanee were on my decision to apply to YASC, and how my own history is being shaped by my time here...more on that later.

This Columbus Day weekend, for you all in the States, I decided I'd share a little bit from my past couple of weekends to give you a few pictures of Coffee Bay, Grahamstown, and Addo Elephant Park. Last weekend's visit to Coffee Bay was beautiful, and I went on a great hike to Hole in the Wall. It was a relaxing and fun weekend, and definitely a place to go back to over the year. Grahamstown two weekends ago gave me a glimpse of a very European city in South Africa, and one where education is the main industry. I was so happy to see Travis, one of my fellow YASCers, and to get caught up on the last few months. Addo Elephant Park was also a fun day trip adventure from Grahamstown. Lots of elephant sightings, and thankfully we were able to safely alight from our vehicle without a lion encounter. Anyway, here are a few pictures from the weekends...Hope you enjoy!












No comments:

Post a Comment